It needs to be biblical
i.e. not short-term goals but important biblical principles
It needs to be ecclesiological
i.e. New Testament principles on the nature and function of the local church.
It needs to be detailed
i.e. to have sufficient detail to provide a challenge.
It needs to be tactical
i.e. emphasising neglected truths.
It needs to be balanced
e.g. personal responsibility to God: commitment to one another;
obedience to Scripture: openness to the Holy Spirit
It needs to be missionary.
i.e. not inward-looking.
It needs to be practical
i.e. about doing the Word, not theoretical assent.
Communicating vision and strategy
Used varied repetition through:
- Sermons (especially thematic exposition).
- Notices (verbal)
- Notices (written)
- Prayer topics (written and verbal)
- Ad hoc circulars
- Magazine articles
- Church Council agenda/notices
- Teach-ins (including diagrams and visual representations).
- Ad hoc prayer times.
- Ad hoc times of listening to god (including opportunities for prophecy).
- Leaders’ gatherings (regular and ad hoc)..
- Congregational gatherings (regular and ad hoc).
© Tony Higton: see conditions for reproduction