How Can We Know That We Love God With Our "First Love"?
If he is the priority in our relationships
- That he really is the most important person in our lives;
- That we daily offer adoration - often emotionally, sometimes as an act of the will;
If he is the priority in our time
- That each day we make time to speak with and listen to God, in addition to using any prayer list;
- That each day we read Scripture;
If he is the priority in our motives
- That our life aim is to fulfil his purpose for us;
- That we offer worship, not primarily to bless and satisfy us but to glorify God;
- That we are living sacrifices, our whole lives being an offering, including self-denial;
If he is the priority in our hope
ie. that we really look forward to meeting him either beyond death or at the second coming.
BUT: FIRST LOVE APPLIES TO OUR NEIGHBOUR TOO
If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love Jus brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. (1 John 4:20)
© Tony Higton: see conditions for copying on the Home Page